David W. Johnson
David W. Johnson
Barrister and Solicitor
I chose a career in law based on a belief that people who need help should be able to find it, and on a strong humanitarian interest in the law’s impact on people in the community. My work with Poole Lawyers has allowed me to work on files that really impact the parties involved. I have been fortunate to be able to work with clients who are genuine, interesting, and who have complicated and intellectually-stimulating issues.
The Poole Lawyers team is a collaborative, attentive group with a “client-first” approach where we provide clients with knowledgeable and capable legal counsel, as well as smart and respectful support. We all subscribe to Jeffrey Poole’s founding belief that law should be practiced in an ethical and professional manner, and we all approach each file with this belief at heart.
I have experience with a variety of litigation matters relating to corporate-commercial disputes, employment law and professional malpractice claims. I have appeared before the Provincial Court of Alberta, the Court of Queen’s Bench and the Court of Appeal.
Summary of my educational and professional experience:
- 2002-2003 – New Brunswick Government Employment Standards Officer – Had a variety of responsibilities including drafting internal memoranda explaining policies and precedents, as well as handling enquiries from the public.
- 2004 – Graduated with a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from the University of New Brunswick.
- 2005-2007 – UNB/STU Habitat for Humanity Chapter (co-chair) – Chaired the executive committee, planned and coordinated fundraising and awareness campaigns.
- 2007 – Attained my Bachelor of Law degree from the University of New Brunswick.
- 2007-2008 – Student-at-Law/Paralegal at Total E & P Canada Limited – Assisted senior counsel in a variety of tasks, including drafting policy statements and legal memos, drafting contracts and communicating with internal client regarding their legal issues.
- 2008-2009 – Student-at-Law at Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP – Supported associate lawyers and partners through legal research and document preparation, attended various seminars related to substantive legal topics, and provided clients with options available for dealing with legal problems, along with reasonable expectations for likely outcomes.
- 2009 – I was admitted to the Law Society of Alberta.
- 2010-2013 – Calgary Legal Guidance – Provided information concerning criminal, civil, and landlord/tenant matters to Calgary citizens at free legal guidance clinics.
- 2010 – Joined Poole Lawyer.