IAN M. CARRUTHERS
Barrister and Solicitor
When I applied for law school, it was because I had a desire to help people in a meaningful way. When I was admitted to the Alberta Bar in 2016, I recognized that I was being given the opportunity to do this, but I also recognized that this was a privilege and in order to make this type of meaningful difference I would be exercising a great deal of responsibility over people’s interests. Because I have been given this privilege and responsibility, I, like my colleagues at Poole Lawyers, take my profession seriously and practice as ethically and professionally as possible.
I particularly enjoy getting to know my clients. People have different goals and different personalities, and they come to me at different stages in life. Some are comfortable taking risks while others would prefer to avoid a conflict. Researching case law and identifying legal rights and obligations are important components of my job, but these are means to an end. It is when I apply these tools to each client’s unique character and situation that I feel like I am really helping that client achieve his or her goals.
Summary of my educational and professional experience:
- 2002 – Completed a Bachelor of Music in Viola Performance at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario
- 2002-2004 – Performed throughout southwestern Ontario
- 2005-2012 – Performed and taught music privately in Calgary and interior BC, including teaching theory at Mount Royal University Conservatory
- 2008 – Completed a Master of Music in Composition at University of Calgary
- 2009-2012 – Worked for Canada Safeway Logistics
- 2012-2015 – Attended law school at the University of Alberta, graduating in the top 15% of my class; won the Clinton Ford Competitive Moot; volunteered with Student Legal Services (Criminal & Civil) and Pro Bono Students Canada
- 2015-2016 – Articled with Snyder & Associates in Edmonton
- 2016 – Admitted to the Bar in Alberta
- 2016-2018 – Continued as an Associate with Snyder & Associates – responsibilities included handling the firm’s collections department and precedents system and hiring students
- September 2018 – Became an Associate with Poole Lawyers